You can use your Facebook Account to register in Yebber and start reviewing your favourite or least favourite businesses
Please click the login button below and proceed to create a new Yebber ID at the next step.
SteamBoat and Chicken Rice... Traditional style...
I've been patronising this old-school Hainanese establishment for as long as I can remember. They do the best chicken-soup based steamboat ever. No numbing MSG after-taste. Just clean, pure and good soup base. Prices are calculated according to the number of diners and how much the set is. No reservations allowed, but turnover is very high so even impatient persons like me will be willing to wait it out. Big plus point, the place is air-conditioned.
1) Steamboat (all inclusive set): Consists of pig liver, cockles, squid, sea cucumber, fish balls, fish maw, sliced pork, sliced fish, vegetables and eggs. You can add and delete items as you like. All the food is served a la carte. Not buffet style. Everything's amazingly fresh, sweet and succulent.
2) Additional Beef and Tripe: You can opt to have this additionally. Beef is tender, juicy without the artificial tenderiser taste.
3) Sweet and Sour Pork: Pork is crispy yet tender and succulent, and the piquant tomato-based sauce was tangy, sweet and savoury all at the same time
4) Poached Chicken. silky smooth, moist and packed with flavour
5) Chicken rice is served in lieu of white rice, although you can request white rice instead. The rice is cooked the traditional way, whereby the rice is first fried and coated evenly in oil and spices before adding the stock to boil. This makes the rice very flavourful and one that you can eat on its own without any chicken and/or ingredients
NB. I gave 8 stars out of 10 for service because I've known the people here since I was a little girl so they are extra sweet.
You can read more about it at my blog: http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.com
We frequent a few times as well as we find it convenient to eat here.
You get to eat steamboat with chicken rice and other chinese dishes at one place. and of course satay as well.
The chicken is tender and satay is grilled just nice. Just that the steamboat at $20 is a bit miserable as the quantity is not worth the value.
With 2 adults and 2 kids, we spend around $40-$50 which is a bit expensive for a normal dinner.
The place can be quite crowded especially at dinner time and weekends even though they have taken over almost the half of the basement.
This is our family's restaurant because we are Hainanese. I agree that the steamboat ingredients are nothing fantastic. But their soup stock is very delicious and seem to be devoid of MSG, which is very rare nowadays.
Their pork satay is done the old fashioned way, with pieces of fat in between the meat. If done well, it is very yummy !!!
The restaurant tends to fill up during dinner times. But it is manageable for lunch crowds.
If you do not mind eating at this crappy shopping centre, this is a good place! Be careful of the car park , very narrow and dirty !
Username (Required for logging in to Yebber)
Email (Required for verification. We will never give out your email.)
Or use your Facebook account to create a new Yebber ID (no Registration form to fill)
Notify me of followup comments via e-mail
May's Exchange Rate